Friday, June 13, 2008

In the blink of an eye...

This seems like just yesterday to me:

Then I blinked my eyes, and in a second, this young man stands before me:


When did he grow up? And when in the hell did he start shaving!?
Ryan left for C.A.P. encampment this morning and I have to admit I'm a bit of a mess today.
I've really been looking forward to him going. I was looking forward to the peace and quiet (he is tormenter numero uno to his brothers!) and looking forward to sending him off on this adventure that I'm sure will help strengthen his mind and body. This is a wonderful experience for Ryan! He is going to be immersed in the military lifestyle and that is going to help make him a stronger, more self-disciplined young man...but when he walked out the door this morning, I cried. All I could see was that tiny little baby in the first picture!
I secretly wanted him to run out of the car and come hug me and tell me he didn't want to go! We've never been away from him. We are with our kids 24/7 (one of the nice things about homeschooling!) but here I am shipping my baby to live with strangers for eight days!
He called me at various points along his six hour trip to camp. I could tell he was nervous and scared, but he was brave. He wants so much to grow up and be a leader in C.A.P.
I'm sending off a nervous and scared young boy, but I think I'm going to get back a strong and confident young man! All I know is that I miss my baby...and if you've managed to read this far, please say a quick prayer for him. Please pray for his safety, his peace of mind while away from us, and that this camp experience helps him grow in strength and knowledge.
And if you have a spare moment, pray for me and Doug. I don't like this "children growing up and becoming all independent" thing! I think I'm going to be hugging and kissing the other boys a little too much over the following week!

1 comment:

Kalona said...

Hugs and prayers, JoAnn. Yes, it's hard to see them grow up, but you're right, this camp will be a great experience for your sweet boy. I loved the two pictures of him.

My oldest son is 37 (he's the one in Spring with the 4 kids), my youngest son is 28 (10 minutes away with 2 kids), my daughter will be 34 in August (no kids, 30-40 minutes away), and in my heart they will always be my babies.