Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tomatoes, missing Ryan, and a baby shower

A while back I discovered plucking "suckers" from your tomato plants and decided to do a little expirament. I diligently pruned the suckers off of a little more than half of my total tomato plants and here are the results:
Plucking suckers DOES increase tomato size!
Here is a picture to demonstrate:

The tomato on the right is from a sucker free plant. It's bigger and nicer than his little friend on the left. Now that doesn't matter so much when you're making salsa or tomato sauce, but it IS nice to slice a big juicy tomato on a sandwich or burger! It is interesting that plucking suckers did not affect size or quality on my Roma variety. They are exactly the same on plants I pruned and those I did not. So take all that information for what it's worth, it was an interesting little expirament!

Day 2 of Ryan's encampment...missing him like crazy and praying he's doing ok. They don't get to call home and I think that's what's killing me. I just want to hear his voice and know he's hanging in there. Karen passed along this great C.A.P cadet website. Check it out if you have time, and say a prayer for my baby!

On a lighter note, we are traveling to Houston today to for a baby shower for Cassandra & Sal (my dear niece and her husband!) and their precious baby Avalea Madison-Jo. I haven't seen my family in quite some time and I am really looking forward to the party and catching up on all the latest news! My sister, Sonya, is hosting the shower at her lovely home. Bringing lots of pickles and salsa for you, girl! We told the kids we were going to Aunt Sonya's for a baby shower today and John Paul says, "I am NOT getting in the shower with no baby!"

1 comment:

CassB said...

I am so glad you guys got to make it out and thank you so much for the gift. the boys haven't stopped talking about their cousins. I may just be taking you up on that offer sometime soon! Thanks again and I love you guys!