Thursday, January 29, 2009

Plans in effect!

I laid out the general shape of my medicinal and cooking herb garden today using our garden hose. I like the shape of it and will leave it a few days before tilling just to make sure I can live with it! I'm also going to carefully observe how many hours per day it gets direct sunlight as most medicinal plants prefer shady spots.

The flipside is that most cooking herbs like bright sunny spots,
so I'm not sure I can combine the two into one garden.


I ordered some of my seeds online. Here's what I got:
Astragalus
Allheal
Elecampane
Burdock
Evening Primrose
Feverfew
Lavender
Scullcap
I figure I can get plants of more common herbs at our local nursery because growing everything from seed is incredibly labor intensive. I really only want to grow the rare stuff from seed.
I also found some really great heirlooms for my vegetable garden, so I'll be growing these babies from seed as well:
Listada de Gandia Eggplant
Fish Pepper
Napoleon Sweet Pepper
Five Color Silverbeet Chard
and you can't have heirlooms in your garden without tomatoes:
Amish Paste, Gold Medal, and Italian Heirloom

The rest of my vegetable garden will come from the Burpee seed display at Walmart.
I absolutely CAN.NOT.WAIT for spring to get here!


No comments: