Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What I'm reading...

I know I should be spending this Lent reading spiritual works of the Saints, but I can't seem to get away from these gardening books.

Preserving Food Without Canning or Freezing

Four Season Harvest


In the last couple of weeks I have shifted the goal of my vegetable garden from just sustaining us over the summer to having a year round garden that will allow us to preserve about half our harvest. With these difficult economic times and the tyranical nature of our president, I really fear for our future. Having a self sustaining garden is one small thing I can do to provide some security for my family. Well, that and LOTS of prayer!


1 comment:

Rachel said...

Those are both excellent books! DH has a particular fondness for Mr Coleman's books, although as I recall this one was not quite what he had thought it would be. He also very much enjoys John Seymours books--right now he is reading this one

http://www.amazon.com/Self-sufficient-Life-How-Live/dp/0789493322/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236696779&sr=1-1

Definitely a good read.

Rachel