Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Danny makes a galette

Danny and Kyle have always loved to help out in the kitchen, I call them my little sous-chefs! Our fig tree is busting at the branches with ripe fruit, so one day I showed Danny how to make a galette. It's super easy but looks so rustic and elegant...like you've been slaving away on it all day!

You'll need roughly four cups of ripe fruit. Any fruit will do, just make sure it is chopped fairly small. Danny likes to cut the "hats" off of the figs, then he quarters them.

And yes, I DO let my five year old wield a sharp knife!

Mix your cut fruit with 2T. sugar and 1T. flour. We also add some lemon zest and juice ~ lemons and figs taste wonderfully together! Roll out a prepared pie crust (or make your own) on a piece of floured parchment paper.
Pour fruit into the center of the dough leaving about a two inch path around the fruit.

Fold the edges of the dough up and over the fruit.

And glaze the crust with a little egg wash and sprinkled sugar.

Bake crust at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and fruit is bubbly. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the finished galette...we had a pint of vanilla Blue Bell waiting for this to come out of the oven and it was demolished in about 7.3 seconds flat!

6 comments:

Yvonne said...

Ahh.. Blue Bell ... we sure miss it up here in Canada. I approve, btw, of teaching your young un's how to use sharp knives! Bet is was delish.

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

That is beautiful--I'm getting hungry just looking at it!

Susan said...

Looks fantastic! Your little chef does great work - thanks for sharing!

Ott, A. said...

that looks delish! I don't know if figs grow in Indiana but after seeing that recipe I wish they did.
a Latte with Ott, A

~TastyTravels~ said...

Yum! I *heart* figs! That looks delicious!!

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

Beautiful! I haven't made a galette this year yet- now you've got me thinking about it. :-)

Thanks for sharing!