Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Bees wax candles

I've had lots of fun using up the pounds of beeswax Doug got for me from the bee keepers up the road. So far I've made homemade eucalyptus rub and lip balms. I've always wanted to make my own hand dipped candles so I melted some of the wax and gave it a try...
It is NOT as simple as it appears!

I think it's just a matter of not having the right equipment. My container for dipping was not very deep so my candles came out looking more like the letter "J" than long tapers! They have some wonderful candle making supplies at Hob Lob so I think I'll print up a coupon and get what I need.
I MUST have homemade beeswax candles for our Advent wreath this year!


Since the dipping turned out to be a bust, I cut some cotton wicks and "glued" them with a dot of wax to the bottoms of some candle holders I had. I tied up the loose ends so that the wick was straight and then poured in the hot beeswax.

They set up perfectly and smelled like honey. The wax was not refined, only strained through a sieve, and it still had bits of honey and bee "stuff" in it. I think that's what made them feel so silky and smell so rich!

Beeswax candles are smokeless, drip less, and they last much longer than paraffin based candles.

All I know is that I loved making these candles and am looking forward to many hours cuddled up with Doug and the boys enjoying their warm, cozy glow.

1 comment:

Therese said...

oh JoAnn, they are great. I have always wanted to do candle making but never looked into getting the tools. Your post has inspired me.