Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A kitchen tip!

I've discovered a great little way to preserve meals in the freezer and reheat them without a mess! This weekend I made chicken alfredo for JP's FHC luncheon (it's his favorite!). I made a HUGE batch so that I could freeze a portion for lunch later in the week. Once your casserole has cooled, place the pan and all into the freezer for about 30 minutes:

Then "pop out" the casserole onto some lightly greased aluminum foil or waxed paper and seal.


Slide the foil package into a ziplock freezer bag and label with the meal as well as cooking directions for hubby:

So when Doug needs to make a hot meal for the boy's lunch this week he just takes out the foil package, puts it into an 8x8 glass dish, and bakes at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. The foil not only protects from freezer burn, but he won't have to clean the baking dish afterward! And placing the whole meal in a ziplock bag saves freezer space by not putting glassware into the freezer. Multiple meals can just be 'stacked' in the freezer.

And even though I'm away at work for 12 hours a day, I know my boys can have a hot and nutritious lunch....still made by mom and made with love!

No comments: