Monday, November 14, 2011

Officially gone off the deep end!

I finally harvested some of the horseradish that we planted last winter. This is hardy stuff! It survived the hottest, driest Texas summer that we've had in a long time and is practically busting out of the enormous planter that we are growing it in!

Why did I harvest this pungent root you ask?

Well my husband found a recipe for "Master Tonic" online and wanted to brew a batch.

Master Tonic is a health elixir similar to a tincture. It is practically guaranteed to cure anything that ails you...especially ridding you of of a cold or flu within 24 hours!

Master Tonic Ingredients
1 part fresh chopped garlic cloves (antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antiparasitical)
1 part fresh chopped white onions (similar properties to garlic)
1 part fresh grated ginger root (increases circulation to the extremities)
1 part fresh grated horseradish root (increases blood flow)
1 part fresh chopped Cayenne peppers, Jalapenos, Serranos, Habeneros, African bird peppers....any combination of the hottest peppers available
Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar

Preparation

· Fill a glass jar 3/4 of the way full with equal parts of the above fresh chopped and grated herbs.
Then fill to the top with raw unfiltered, unbleached, nondistilled apple cider vinegar like Bragg's.
· Close and shake vigorously and then top off the vinegar if necessary. Store in a cool, dark place and shake daily. Let mixture steep for two weeks. Filter the mixture through a clean piece of cotton, bottle and label.
· Make sure that when you are making this tonic that you shake it every time you walk by it, a minimum of once per day. Remember that all the herbs and vegetables should be fresh (and organic if possible), and to use dried herbs only in an emergency.

Usage:

Strain liquids from solids through muslin cloth or strainer into a glass container. Take 1/2 to 1 ounce, two or more times daily.

This stuff is not for the faint of heart! Just chopping and grating all the ingredients cleared my sinuses AND everyone else's in the house! I cannot imagine drinking it straight but it might be tasty in some V-8 juice or as a dressing for salad. No one in the house has been sick yet, but you can be sure at the first sign of a sniffle that I'll be testing this home remedy...and I'll let you know how it works!

Read what others are saying about Master Tonic:
Click here
or here
or just Google it yourself!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness... that sounds intense! I can imagine it would scare off any sniffle or flu bug in a hurry!!

I'm impressed that you have time for extra projects like this, never mind blog about them! My little man was born on the same day as your Mary (my dd is Mary too!) and I'm still in survival mode!

JoAnnC. said...

Truth be told, I still trying to "survive" too! My hubby has been off for the last two days so I've had my head just above water today and felt a little ambitious. Granted...it's the only thing I've accomplished today. Oh wait...I did manage to get out of my milk stained nightgown by 2pm! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I was wondering too how you could do anything else...let alone blog! I hope you have enough time off work to get our strength back. Let us know how this dynamite works!!! What is the saying?....what doesn't kill you might save you,...or something to that effect! :) :) Sarah