Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Candy Roaster Pie

We finally harvested some of the candy roaster squash that I blogged about HERE
These squash are HUGE as you can see!

I sliced one in half, scooped out the seeds, and roasted it in the oven for about an hour.  The flesh was gorgeous, sweet, and not as stringy as pumpkin.  One squash gave me six cups of puree which I promptly made into pies.  
I also saved the seeds so I can grow these again next year!


The pie was a big hit!


Who says you need a fork?
This is a girl after my own heart!


Candy Roaster Squash Pie

2 cups candy roaster squash puree
 1/2 cup sugar 
2 eggs 
2 Tbsp. flour 
1/2 cup evaporated milk 
1 tsp. vanilla 
3 Tbsp. melted butter 
Your favorite pie crust

 Stir all ingredients together, then beat at medium speed of electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Pour mixture into unbaked pie crust. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 - 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.


 

4 comments:

Michelle said...

My family LOVES pie. However, we don't have this type of squash. Bet I could substitute for some other variety easily enough...

JoAnnC. said...

For sure!

FlyDoctor said...

We got some candy roaster puree as part of our monthly coop share a couple years ago and my wife used it to make pies. She just used a pumpkin pie recipe and cut back on the sugar since candy roaster is so sweet. These were the best "pumpkin" pies I've ever eaten. We have looked at the local farmers markets for them since then and haven't found them. If I had more sun and room I'd grow them but my wife doesn't like the idea of growing them in our front yard which is the sunny spot. Too bad more farmers don't grown them instead of the more common varieties of squash.

JoAnnC. said...

They DO make incredible pies! The vines are really pretty and lush, out of the three vines we had we got over a dozen squash. I say go ahead and grow some...your wife won't be sorry once she gets those sweeties on the table! :-)