Friday, June 20, 2014

Just call me the Drunken Snail Slayer!

Y'all, 
I HATE SNAILS!


They have completely decimated my garlic bed (above).
And have eaten through more tomatoes than I can count (below).
I would go out to the garden each morning and pick off and crush as many as I could find, but they simply outnumbered me!  I posted the question on how to get rid of them on Facebook and my ever-wise friend, Peggy, gave me a solution...

BEER.


She said to bury a small container at soil level in the garden.


Fill the container just shy of the rim with beer.
Luckily, I just happened to have some lovely Shiner Bock in the fridge.  I really hated to waste in on those slimy villains, but I was desperate! 


I set the filled containers out at dusk, 
because the snails become more active at night.  
I thought by morning I might have a dozen or so. 
 I almost passed out when I found THIS:


These greedy little slime balls crawled to the container, 
drank the beer, got drunk, fell in, and drowned!

If I repeat this 2-3 more nights I might make a dent in the snail population in my garden!  Although, I might get some funny looks at the local grocery store for buying beer in the middle of the day with four children in tow...

Thank you, Peggy, for your wonderful idea!
You're definitely getting some tomatoes 
(and whatever else you want from the garden) 
for helping me defeat the army of snails!

No comments: