Saturday, September 6, 2014

Growing ginger

This is one of two patches of ginger I planted a little over a year ago.  I noticed that the leaves were starting to turn brown and so I decided to go ahead and harvest it.


A gentle pull to the base of the plant and the ginger came right up.  It was so gorgeous and fragrant that I went ahead and pulled up the whole darn patch.


I had initially planted a thumb sized piece of store bought ginger.  A year later, I now have well over 20 times that amount!  You don't have to wait a whole year like I did to get your own ginger harvest, but you do have to wait at least one season.  If you plant in the early spring, you can harvest by late fall.


Trust me, it's worth the wait!


Now to decide what to do with all this fresh ginger.
Ginger ale, ginger beer, gingerbread...

No comments: