Friday, December 16, 2016

A Creamer Christmas ~ Homemade Apple Butter

I'm not going to lie about it, I'M CHEAP!
Maybe I should say...frugal, instead.
Truth is, with five kids, the holidays are a huge financial crunch time for us.  I try to lighten the load by making homemade/handmade gifts for our friends and family.  One of the gifts I'm making this year is apple butter.


I ate tons of this stuff as a kid and I always loved it!  
It truly couldn't be easier to make. 
 You start by peeling, coring, and chopping 12 pounds of apples.  
I used a variety of Gala, Fuji, and Granny Smith apples.


This is a great activity for the kids to help out with.  
The older boys have good knife skills 
and little Mary Grace helped with the spices:


1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of white sugar
2 tablespoons of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons allspice
Just a splash of apple cider vinegar
Mix ingredients well into a large crock pot and cook on high for 8-10 hours.  Blend until smooth with immersion blender, or by hand if you like a chunky apple butter.  Fill sterile jars and process.


Your house is going to smell AMAZING!
This recipe makes 12 half pints, 
which is the perfect size for gift giving.

From left to right:  Apple Butter, Candied Jalapenos and Orange Jelly from our garden.

Sure, at first thought, homemade gifts are a great way to save money and avoid the stress of the mall.
But I hope our friends and family know that they are truly made with
LOVE!
So act like you like it when you open it,
and a little squealing wouldn't hurt either!

No comments: