Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The Creamer Garden ~ 6.13.17 (a.k.a. The Goji Edition)

Every year I try to grow something new and different in the Creamer Garden because, let's face it, zucchini gets boring after a while!  Last year, on a whim, I purchased a goji berry plant.


I thought it would be a pretty ornamental in the garden, but I really had no idea how to use the berries.  You never hear of a 'goji berry pie' or a 'goji berry cobbler'...and now I know why!
They really don't taste sweet like you'd think a berry would be.  They taste like a sweet bell pepper and are hollow inside except for several tiny seeds.  To me, they seem more closely related to peppers than berries.


These plants also spread and multiply like crazy!
I've had three more plants pop up in this same garden bed several feet from the original plant.  I thought I'd transplant the extras so I dug them up by the root and gave them a new home.  Despite lots of watering and TLC, it appeared that my transplants died.  I just left them where they were and I'll be darned if a week later they both sprouted new growth AND berries!
Even if you have a "brown thumb," 
you can grow goji berries!


I'm still not sure what to do with all these berries!
Right now I'm drying them and using them in salads, sauces, soups, and they make the most lovely tea (with a little lemon!).
I definitely want to incorporate them into our diets 
more and more due to their amazing super food properties.



If you're interested in growing your own goji berries, 
I got mine HERE.

Now if anyone has that recipe for goji berry pie....


No comments: