Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Five Minute Fake Out Salsa

From the second my tomato plants go into the garden, the boys are wanting to know when we'll have fresh tomatoes for salsa.  They don't understand it takes time to grow the perfect tomatoes.  So when I get tired of them nagging me, I use this fake out to tide them over until my garden is ready.

This is my Five Minute Fake Out Salsa:


For this quick salsa you'll need:

1 - 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
2 cans of diced tomatoes with onion and chiles (Rotel)
1-2 jalapenos
1-2 limes
onion
garlic
a handful of cilantro
salt to taste and 1 TBS cumin
 plus any other spices you like, sometimes
I'll add chili powder and red pepper flakes.


For this recipe, canned tomatoes taste best.  
Start by putting the whole tomatoes in your food processor with a handful of cilantro, lime juice, and garlic.  Pulse to your desired consistency and empty into a bowl.  Next, add your Rotel tomatoes, half an onion, spices, and peppers to the processor.  Pulse again and add to the previous mixture.  Stir to combine and season again to taste.
A note regarding peppers:  
For the basic recipe, two jalapenos are good.  I remove the seeds and membranes from one and add the other one whole.  It gives just the right kick for us.  In the pic above, I had some banana peppers from the garden that I added.  
Any peppers you like will do!


Cover and refrigerate for an hour to let the flavors marry.
The longer it sits, the better it tastes!

 

Grab your favorite chips and enjoy!

No comments: